The post is 12 months fixed-term.
About Waltham Forest
Driven by our sense of the place and its people, we constantly develop and evolve. Waltham Forest is London’s first Borough of Culture and 2019 MJ Council of the Year. Our opportunities are real: a new university campus, £300million new shopping centre, 10,000 new homes over the next ten years, re-invigorating a much-loved 950-seat theatre and a new hospital at Whipps Cross.
However, like most places we face challenges and need people that thrive in creating solutions and unlocking potential in all areas. We are seeking a Lead Insight Analyst to work within the Intelligence Team at Waltham Forest. The Lead Insight Analyst will develop innovative, data-driven solutions which will help use data to tackle some of the Council’s key priorities. In this role you will promote and lead on the gathering, collating, validating and use of data, intelligence and insight to help inform decision-making and shape organisational policy, strategy and priorities.
Some of the key tasks for this role will be:
- Lead on the development and implementation of a new organisation wide performance and outcomes framework;
- Design and implement new data flows to enable efficient data processing and reproducibility;
- To input to and support a self-service model of data access;
- Develop new insights and analytic products to help identify areas for prioritisation, for example, dashboards or balance scorecards.
We are looking for a candidate with knowledge and skills in:
- Problem-solving: overcoming challenges in access to data and designing solutions which empower decision-makers to tackle meet real-world problems.
- Data analysis: implementing efficient and automated analytics using programming languages such as SQL, R and Python, including working with APIs. (A basic knowledge of one of these languages is necessary however we will invest in developing your skills).
- Data storytelling: visualising data to present the ‘story’ of complex data in a meaningful way, experience in the use of PowerBI would be advantageous.
To succeed you will need:
- To be pro-active in your endeavours to progress work and build relationships.
- Excellent analytical and investigatory skills to interpret varied and complex information and be able to understand concepts quickly.
- The technical ability to effectively use reporting tools, especially PowerBI, and extraction methods such as SQL, Python or R.
- The ability to analyse and interpret complex data sets and present them effectively to various audiences to inform decision-making and prioritisation.
- The ability to work sensitively, empathetically and collaboratively across a wide range of stakeholders to achieve the desired outcomes.
- Have proven knowledge of the regulatory framework around people data and data protection in handling, storage and reporting.
Why work for us:
- We offer a flexible working pattern.
- Family friendly policies.
- An excellent pension scheme.
- Investment in your skills.
- A fantastic team environment.
- More details can be found here.
This is an exciting time to join the Intelligence Team as we invest in data science skills, encourage a culture of innovation and change the way data and analytics is conducted and used for the benefit of our colleagues and citizens.